A Mahila Samakhya programme was started in 1990, with support from the Government of India. This programme was launched in 10 villages each, in three blocks. During one-month training sessions, women learnt sitting in a group, listening, literacy skills, singing songs, nutrition, knowhow about stitching, lighting stoves and lanterns, agricultural practices, family culture, etc. Though it was a short term programme, it proved to be of significance. The Ashram got associated with village women through Gram Sakhi’s.
The main features of the programmes conducted thus far are:
- Awareness building and personality development
- Development of sound family, culture and social and economic capacities of women
- Participation of women in panchayati raj
- Health care of women in general and that of mother and child in special
- Self help group and Mahila Mandal formation
- Entrepreneurship training
Men cooperate in women development programmes. This has given very good results. Women are now confident of dealing with community affairs.